Thursday, June 24, 2010

Hello!

My name is Jane Ashley, MA, CNC, AADP, and I am a Certified Nutritional Counselor & Health Educator. I am excited to be here and would like to share some tips for you brides-to-be!


I know from my own wedding that I was pretty obsessed with not only creating the perfect day for myself and my guests, but also with how I was going to look and feel for my big day. Well, 10 years later and having worked with lots of women and from my own experience, I know that there are healthy and not-so-healthy ways of reaching that goal. I don’t know about you, but I love food, love to share meals with my family and friends, and love to cook, so I am not about deprivation at all! In fact, I help people make diet and lifestyle changes that are easy to sustain for your life—you will lose weight (and keep it off!), shape up and get energized! Most of us have ridden the yo-yo-dieting carnival ride most of our lives, so now is a chance for you to use your wedding as the springboard to LIFELONG, SUSTAINABLE good health through dietary excellence. On this blog, I will share tips and recipes that will help get you started on the road to optimal health.


Here are 5 tips that I share with the women I coach:

1. EAT 4-5 smaller meals/day. Eat until your tummy is full, but not OVER full. DO NOT starve yourself or skip meals. Food=Fuel. Like a car, we need to feed our bodies fuel to keep it running smoothly. If you don’t eat enough, your brain will keep looking for more food!


2. Fill up on fruits veggies, whole grains such as brown rice or quinoa, and beans. Start each meal with a salad (but leave out the fatty, oily dressings), then move on to the other stuff. You will feel full, ingest less calories and get MORE nutrients into your body.


3. Drink at least 64 ounces of water everyday. We want to flush out the toxins and keep things moving through. Food that sits and sits will putrify and cause unpleasant bloating and other lovely side effects.


4. Minimize or eliminate animal foods and oils. You will save yourself LOTS of calories and artery-clogging fats. If you eat a varied diet with lots of plant-based foods, you WILL get enough protein into your body, as well as fiber, antioxidants, and all the vitamins you need. Don’t be scared of carbs - they are vital to your health and energy levels (except for refined carbs like junk food, processed foods, white flours, white bread etc.)


5. MOVE YOUR BODY! Walking, running, weights, biking—do something you enjoy, and do it for 30 minutes/day. Be sure to give yourself a day of rest in there, or you will exhaust yourself and not have efficient workouts. Alternate days between resistance training and cardio. Also fit in a yoga class every week— very good for mind and body wellness.


Here is a great recipe to try courtesy of my friend Vanessa at nevadawellnessforum.com


Asian Peanut Butter Noodles


1/2 cup vegetable broth

1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger

3 tablespoons Tamari sauce

3 tablespoons peanut butter (chunky or smooth)

1 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar

2 teaspoons hot chile paste (optional)

2 cloves of garlic, minced

8 ounces whole wheat or brown rice noodles

1/4 cup green onion for garnish

1/4 cup chopped peanuts for garnish


Cook noodles according to directions. While the noodles are cooking, combine broth,

ginger, Tamari, peanut butter, agave nectar, chili paste, and garlic in a small saucepan.

Cook over medium heat until peanut butter melts and is heated through. Add noodles,

and stir until coated. Garnish with green onions and peanuts.


*You can add diced vegetables, edamame, or tofu to this dish


Try making this for your family or fiance - they will be very impressed!


Ladies, you CAN reach your health goals. I am here to support you and would like to offer you a free health & nutrition session by phone. Please call me at 203-824-5353 or email janescottashley@gmail.com to schedule. Stay tuned for my next entry where I will chare more info on getting lots of fruits and veggies into your bods and burning fat!


Peace & Veggies,

Jane


WellnessWithJane.com

janescottashley@gmail.com



Jane’s passion is to help women create balance in body, mind and spirit. She helps women who struggle with stress, lack of energy and excess weight take action to reach optimal health through good nutrition. She loves to cook, run, teach cooking classes and runs monthly women’s groups called “Feed Your Soul—for Women on the GO.” She also runs corporate wellness workshops and participates in public speaking events. Jane offers women a personalized coaching program or group classes. Special rates apply for fans of Jennie Fresa :) Check out WellnessWithJane.com for more info!



No comments:

Post a Comment