Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Wonderful World of Tofu

Hi Friends!

I’d like to tell you about the wonders of tofu, and how easy it is to make it a part of your diet. Tofu, also known as soybean curd, is a soft, cheese-like food made by curdling fresh, hot soymilk with a coagulant. Tofu is a bland product that easily absorbs the flavors of other ingredients with which it is cooked, and is rich in high-quality protein. Firm tofu is dense and solid and can be cubed and served in soups, stir-fried or grilled. It is higher in protein, fat and calcium than other forms of tofu. Soft tofu is good for recipes that call for blended tofu. Silken tofu is a creamy product and can be used as a replacement for sour cream in many dip recipes.

My general rule, based on the work of such amazing doctors such as T. Colin Campbell, John McDougall, Caldwell Esselstyn, and Neal D. Barnard, is 90/10. If 90% of the time, you are on track with your dietary choices, and the other 10% of the time, you live your life and allow yourself to splurge one in awhile, you will drastically reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes, and obesity, and increase your longevity and vitality. For me, this means cutting back on animal products including meat, fish, and dairy to a maximum of 2-3x/week. SO tofu is a wonderful protein substitute and there are plenty of great recipes out there to experiment with. Here is one of my favorites:

Summer Tofu Salad
Summer Tofu Salad

Sliced firm tofu (patted dry with paper towel to get moisture out), Arugala, fresh tomatoes, avocado, raw garlic, onions, steamed broccoli rabe, cucumbers, smoked paprika, sea salt, pepper.

Arrange on a platter and enjoy!

See you in two weeks—next time we’ll talk about what those good choices are, 90% of the time!

Peace & Veggies,

Jane Ashley, MA, CNC, AADP, is a Nutritional Counselor and Health Educator. She is also the Director of Consumer Communications for Eat Right America™. Her passion is to help women create balance in body, mind and spirit. She helps women who struggle with stress, lack of energy and excess weight take action to reach optimal health through good nutrition. She loves to cook, run, teach cooking classes and runs monthly women’s groups called “Feed Your Soul—for Women on the GO.” She also runs corporate wellness workshops and participates in public speaking events. Jane offers a personalized coaching program or group classes. Special rates apply for fans of Jennie Fresa :) Check out for more info!

1 comment:

  1. I never knew there was so much to know about tofu! Thanks for the info, Jane - can't wait to try the Summer salad recipe, too!